The Youth of Springwood get together regularly for study, service, retreats, and just to hang out.
We gather at the church once a month for activities and/or study. We regularly take fun trips to bond with each other as we learn more about our Lord.
We have done a variety of things to help out people in need locally:
- We have gone gleaning (picking food from crops that farmers are willing to donate) and taken the food we collected to a local food pantry.
- We have helped prepare, cook, and serve food at the Good Shepherd Kitchen.
- We have gone to local retirement communities to sing Christmas carols and to deliver Valentines.
- We have worked building houses through Habitat for Humanity
- We hold a special offering on Super Bowl Sunday each year - the Souper Bowl of Caring.
- We are beginning another ministry through which our church members will feed the homeless (snappy name pending!). We are buying and putting together lunch bags containing non-perishable foods. People can buy these lunches and keep them in their cars to distribute to homeless persons that they come across.
Our youth have also been active in Springwood's national and international mission efforts. Many of our teens have traveled to Mexico with our week-long Mexico Mission Trips.
One year, the Youth Group organized and lead a week-long Mission Trip to the Appalachian Mountains. We stayed at a Presbyterian Church in West Virginia and worked each day on improving the house of an impoverished family. This was through the West Virginia Advocacy and Workcamps ministry. Check out our Calendar of Upcoming Events for more details on this year's activities.
Retreats and Hanging Out
Whether traveling to Camp Hanes for winter camp or the mountains of Western North Carolina for the week-long Montreat Senior High Conferences, retreats give us a chance to hang out and have some non-stop fun as well as an opportunity to come closer to God and be inspired to grow more like Christ. For fun, we also go to water parks and amusement parks, take in some concerts, and just sit around and make fun of John or sing-along as he jams on his guitar.
We always welcome others. You won't find a more accepting group!
For any questions or to find out more about the Youth Group, call the church office, talk to Pastor Genie or one of our youth.